There's two exciting parts to the new Nurph. Firstly there's @Nurph, the friendly artificial intelligence who watches over Nurph.com and chats with you in the Nurph Channels, on Twitter, and even over SMS on the telephone number +44 (0)20 3322 4989. @Nurph answers questions about Nurph.com, tells jokes, translates words, tells local time, rhymes, defines, checks the status of London Underground lines, and performs many more fun and useful functions. @Nurph can even learn answers and knowledge from people who have permission to teach it.
Secondly, Nurph Channels are the home of @Nurph and the destinations where you can type in a word to join a real-time group chat about the word you typed in. Type #Pizza in to the home page and you'll join the #Pizza Channel where tweets containing #Pizza will stream by in real-time. It's awesome to watch & participate in, and it turns your hashtag or Twitter account in to a chat room. Try it, you'll love it.
Let's look at each part in more detail.
@Nurph's UpMeet @Nurph, the friendly AI bot who chats in #Nurph via replies to @Nurph (and speaks out loud through your computer speakers), on Twitter via @replies to @Nurph, and on SMS via +44 (0)20 3322 4989. For example:
- Fancy a joke? TXT "Nurph tell me a joke" to +44 (0)20 3322 4989 and @Nurph will send a joke straight back to you.
- Need a chat up line? TXT "Nurph tell me a chat up line" to +44 (0)20 3322 4989 and Nurph will send you a chat up line just in time for that walk across the bar.
- Need to know the status of the Nothern Line? TXT "Nurph what is the status of the Northern Line?" to +44 (0)20 3322 4989 and @Nurph will send you the status of the Northern Line.
- Want to know the local time in another part of the world? Tweet "@Nurph what is the time in Tokyo" and @Nurph will tweet back to you with the time in Tokyo.
- Interested in the definition of love? Ask "@Nurph define love" in #Nurph and @Nurph will reply with the definition of love.
Not only is @Nurph a very useful addition to Nurph.com as an AI helper who can be on hand 24/7 to handle FAQs and customer support queries, etc - it's also a fun and friendly addition to the Nurph brand and a smart AI who can answer all kinds of queries.
Most notably, @Nurph can learn answers and knowledge from the people who've been given permission to teach it. For example:
- NeilCauldwell: @Nurph when asked how much does the Company Enterprise plan cost answer £1999 per month.
- Nurph: @NeilCauldwell OK, I will answer "£1999 per month" when asked "how much does the Company Enterprise plan cost"
- TwitterUser: @Nurph how much does the Company Enterprise plan cost?
- Nurph: @TwitterUser £1999 per month.
- MobileNumber SMS to +44 (0)20 3322 4989: Nurph how much does the Company Enterprise plan cost?
- +44 (0)20 3322 4989 SMS to MobileNumber: £1999 per month
Real-Time Twitter ChannelsThe new http://Nurph.com isn't just the place where you can see @Nurph chatting away in real-time in it's favorite hangout, it's also the destination where you can type in a word to join a real-time chat channel about the word you typed in (with lots of added benefits for Twitter users). Type #Twitter in to the home page and you'll join the #Twitter Channel where tweets containing #Twitter will stream by in real-time. The same goes for #ipad, #journchat, #commschat, #TechCrunch, or #BBCClick. It's awesome to watch & participate in, and it's a very powerful tool for Twitter hashtag chats.
Got a favorite hashtag, or would you simply like to do real-time group chat with likeminded people via Twitter? Nurph makes it easy. Just type your word/hobby/interest in to the http://Nurph.com home page and Nurph takes you to the Channel where you can start chatting in real-time by participating with the content on Twitter. Nurph loops conversation straight back in to Twitter, and that means people on Twitter can discover your conversations and join in.Not only does Nurph give you the slickest and best user-experience for real-time chat via Twitter, it also makes it easier and quicker to do @replies via the "@reply autocomplete". Just start typing out the first few letters of the username, hit tab, and Nurph prefills your message box with the full username. This feature also accounts for the "in reply to link" by making smart assumptions about which remark you're replying to. Try this for @replies and you won't want to go back to clicking 'reply' buttons with your mouse. And let's not forget about the ReTweets - Nurph has those too.Unlike Twitter #hashtag search results, Nurph Channels show you who is hanging out in the channel, whether or not they're contributing at the time. It's a whole new layer of information that you don't get on Twitter and it makes for a very exciting, next-generation online community experience.Finally, let's not forget about good old emoticons. Type smileys in to your remarks in Nurph Channels, and now Nurph will turn them in to emoticons :-)
This is the tip of the iceberg for the new Nurph of 2012. Got a question, or would you like to join the beta for our upcoming artificial intelligence features? Speak to @Nurph in #Nurph, on Twitter or over SMS on +44 (0)20 3322 4989.